Friday, January 27, 2012

Deutsch

Sorry.  I need to vent a little here. . .

The German language is so hard for me to grasp!  I've taken 8 months of intensive courses (I'm in my 9th class now) and I'm still struggling to get a hold of this language!  Some days I love it.  I do.  I get a high that lasts for hours just from a successful conversation with a waiter, a friend, or the nanny of one of my tutees.  But these highs, these happy feelings, seem to be further and further apart.  Lately, I feel more frustrated than satisfied with my language learning.  I think I need a break.  But then again, tomorrow I may wake up and think there's nothing more that I want to do right now than immerse myself in German.  Uh!  Frustration Nation!

Do any of you have tips for me?  I know that learning a language is supposed to be hard.  And I know that it takes time.  Sure, sure.  I get that.  But how do you persevere through the tough times?  Today is one of those tough times.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You inspire me. You teach me so much. You amaze me. You make me want to be a better person. You are so smart. You make me want to work harder. You make me want to try things I didn't know existed. You make my world bigger while simultaneously helping me realize this world's not that big. I always learn from you. I always look up to you. I'm so proud of you. You taught me this: Ich liebe dich. If nothing else, you got to teach me that. Ich liebe dich.

Jennifer said...

Sorry Lind, I thought my comment went through... I will try again.
As a mother, I can attest that none of you learned English in a year..so look at how far ahead you are. :)
I echo Dia's words. We are so proud of you both and all that you have accomplished in such a short time. We are very proud of you both and daily.... continue to be amazed at the adventures and successes you reach. You are so much further along than you give yourself credit for my dear. Stop and take a look at what you have achieved. You will amaze yourself. Love and hugs from across the pond.

Dorte said...

Deutsch is tough! My mother tongue is close to German, and I still feel completely limited in terms of how I'm able to express myself on a daily basis. I think tough moments are unavoidable when learning a new language. It takes will power to keep going. But maybe it's OK to take a small break, and just accept you need that to keep going. I like how you set everything up in German (your blog, your phone). That's a nice and simple way to incorporate the language. In the end I guess it's all about practicing with people around you and not be afraid of making mistakes. Oh, and I can recommend getting a baby in Vienna. Hah! That's great for language learning, really. :) Have a good weekend.

Simone Crown said...

Üben, üben, üben! ;)
It's always good having someone with whom you can talk german once a week. But without pressure- take a walk together or go for a coffee.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...