Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vielen Dank Kajsa & Roffe

We finally had our chance to show off this fabulous city to visitors! Our very special friends, Kajsa and Roffe, came down from Sweden to spend a few days with us. One of the many reasons that David and I were excited to move to Europe was to be closer to these two "friends." I air quote friends because Kajsa and Roffe are more to us than just friends. They're our Swedish family.

I met Kajsa in the fall of 2002 when I studied abroad at Södertörns University in Stockholm, Sweden. She was assigned to me as my mentor and as soon as we met we were instant life-long friends. Well, we were more like soul sisters who had finally just met. Fortunately for me, Kajsa came as a package deal and I got a bonus friend too! Roffe and Kajsa were without a doubt the most influential factors in me falling in love with my study abroad experience, and consequently, becoming obsessed with traveling and living abroad in general. Unlike most of my exchange student friends, I had a real opportunity through Kajsa and Roffe to get to know Swedish people and the Swedish culture. Most of the other international students stuck together and never really met the local students. Not only did I befriend Kajsa and Roffe, but I also got to know their friends and family too. I had so many very unique and special experiences because of them. In fact, if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed my trip to the Swedish Lapland as much as I did, and instead, and would have certainly froze to death like the Italian and Spanish students did :-)

Luckily, even though we have lived on different continents for the past 9 years, we have still been able to visit each other in one country or the other a handful of times. Now that we share the same continent, we hope that our visits will average 2-3 times a year!

Walking through the Inner Stadt
We were proper tourists and took a carriage ride around the 1st District
A couple of modern Mozarts
Showing off the Danube River
Passing by some of the Life Ball attendants

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...