Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Food Edition

I'm still sticking with the declaration that I am a pathetic cook. Despite my inadequacy, I have prepared a few eats lately that are worth sharing here on the blog. Many of you readers are foodies, and so, this post is for you.

Peas & Feta on Toast
I found the recipe by Debbie Carlos here.

This is my adjusted recipe (I quadrupled what I found online):
  • Butter
  • 1 medium white onion
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 6 oz. crumbled schaftskäse (or Feta)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 pieces toast, toasted
  • 4 eggs, fried
First, saute the onions in butter (or oil) until transparent and edges have browned. Then, add the vinegar and frozen peas and saute for another 3-4 minutes (or until they are a little mushy). In another pan, fry the four eggs in butter. Meanwhile, toast the bread. When it's all ready, spoon the pea mixture onto the toast. Then add the cheese and a fried egg on each piece. Salt and pepper to taste.

*My dad suggested adding bacon to the dish. If you're into that, I'd recommend frying the eggs in the bacon fat. My friend Will makes the best fried eggs this way! Guten Appetit!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dad's Potato Soup
This soup is one of my dad's specialties and my favorite dish of all time. He used to make it for me before important events growing up. The soup was superstitious and my good luck charm. He'd even come home early from work on game days so that I'd have a fresh bowl before important soccer matches. Now, whenever he visits, he always makes a giant pot to last us for days. I've never made it as well as he can, but regardless, I try because 1) I feel closer to him and to home when I make it, 2) David loves it too, and 3) it's something I can make anywhere in the world since the ingredients aren't hard to find. When I'm in the US, I make cornbread to go with the it. When cornmeal is scarce, I usually eat it with a baguette or, like this weekend, with Garlic Knots (see below).



There's no exact science to this recipe so adjust as necessary. . .

  • Potatoes (5-6 large Russet potatoes)
  • 1/2 large onion
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • Milk (no specific amount)
  • 1 large scoop of sour cream (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 stocks of celery or 1 can of Cream of Celery Soup
  • Green onions, chopped
  • Chedder cheese, shredded
  • Bacon
Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces. Place potatoes, chopped onion, and celery (if using) in a large pot. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes can be easily mashed with a fork. Remove from heat and carefully mash potatoes in broth. Add butter, sour cream (if using), milk (no desired amount, but enough to think the mixture to desired consistency -- usually enough when mixture turns to a more whitish color). If cream of celery soup is used, more milk should be added to the mixture because it tends to thicken more. Serve with chopped green onions, shredded chedder cheese, and bacon bits on top.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Easy Peasy Garlic Knots
by Jill Clark
I found this yummy recipe here.
I followed the recipe almost exactly as it was posted so I won't bore you by retyping it since Jill did such a good job already. However, I will note that I used real garlic instead of garlic salt (2 big cloves) and grated Parmesan cheese rather than shredded. I'll definitely use real garlic again but I WILL NOT use the grated cheese. It soaked up the garlicky oil goodness and I would have rather had that goodness to dip the knots in.

1 comment:

Ann said...

linds, every time you write about food, i always remember how you told me you attempted to make broccoli cheese soup? in davis.. and how your apt smelled like it for days! you are hilarious!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...