Thursday, July 7, 2011

Making Friends

Despite all that is wonderfully mysterious and enchanting about moving abroad and starting a new life in a breathtakingly beautiful European city, making friends here is not as easy peasy as it may have been had we moved to say, Seattle, London, Sydney, Johannesburg, or some other English speaking city.  The language barrier -- it's quite a barrier.  Fortunately, I'm studying German and eventually I'll know enough to actually have meaningful conversations with Austrians.  And in my experience, conversations often lead to getting to know a person and eventually a friendship develops.  So, in time, this will happen for me (fingers crossed - or as they say in Austria, Daumen drücken (thumbs pressed)).

In the meantime, however, I owe a giant thanks to my German classes for being instrumental in my social life.  As I mentioned before, I've met some fantastically interesting people -- the inspirational Krishana and warm and lovely Yomara included!

These two ladies came over yesterday and we (well, really Yomara) prepared a delicious salad and sipped on some sweet lemonade while giggling and chatting together.  I'm lucky to have these women in my life!
 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I am so happy you had visitors. I know you miss your German classes, but Dia will be there soon. Wish I could be a fly on the wall....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...